Things To Do with the Kids During the Summer Holidays
Remember when those 6 long weeks stretched out like a glorious eternity before you?
Well, school’s out for the summer but as a parent, you might not be feeling quite as confident about the holidays as your inner child. But with so many fantastic family activities in Dumfries and its surrounding areas, there’s plenty to keep big and little kids entertained. Here are some of our all-time favourites!
Our Top Family Activities in Dumfries and Galloway
1.Drumlanrig Castle A visit to this majestic pink palace could easily stretch out over multiple days. Boasting everything from riverside salmon fishing to an awe-inspiring fine art collection, all tastes and age groups are catered for. With a staggering 120 rooms (plus 17 turrets and 4 towers) it’s easy to lose yourself inside the castle’s imposing sandstone walls.
Drumlanrig, in a nutshell:
- Purpose built adventure playground – including a special toddler’s area
- Mountain biking – trails for all levels, bikes available to hire
- Walking and hiking – paths from 2-5 kilometres
- Landrover tours – explore the Nithsdale Valley in style, family tickets from £120.00 for 3 hours
- Ranger led activities – learn new skills with guided walks and events to help you discover the wildlife near your home
- Castle gardens
- The Castle Tearoom – drop in for some delicious local produce
- Dogs welcome – just like our dog friendly hotel!
Do you have a preschooler who’s biking mad? Take them along to Rik’s Bike Shed at Drumlanrig on a Monday afternoon for some balance and steering training!
- Mabie Farm Park This family orientated farm park offers lots of opportunities for little ones to get involved and is suitable for ages 0-12 years. Meet everyone from the llamas and donkeys to the chipmunks and pot bellied pigs!
Mabie Farm Park, in a nutshell:
- Animal feeding
- Pet handling – 3 times a day
- Visit the paddocks – and yes, they have ponies!
- Meet baby animals
- Quad biking
- Pedal Go-Karting
- Bouncy castle
- Indoor play barn – climbing wall and nets, ride on tractors and picnic tables
Mabie Farm Park is completely family friendly and great fun for adults too!
- Dino Park Situated within Hetland Garden Centre (a fantastic find in itself) Dino Park offers families a fully immersive prehistoric experience. Recently celebrating the launch of their new indoor soft play, the park is quickly becoming one of the most talked about family activities in Dumfries and Galloway. Check out some of their great reviews on TripAdvisor.
- Meet the dinosaurs (and hear them roar!)
- Dig for fossils
- Explore the Dino Mine
- Bouncy Dino
- Dino Bite – stop for lunch here or in Hetland Garden Centre’s Oak Tearoom
- Dino Den – listen to tales of millennia gone by as told by the Dino Rangers
- Educational and fun
- New indoor soft play – wet weather option with special toddler area
- Indoor astro-turf pitch
- Giant gorilla – take a selfie with him and win a prize!
You could win a family pass when you print a colouring page from the Dino Park website and bring the finished product with you when you visit in July and August!
Visiting Dumfries and Galloway on your summer holiday this year? Our friendly staff are full of local knowledge and will be happy to advise on the best things to do in Dumfries, to help you get the most out of your stay. Don’t forget to check out our summer hotel room offers and book early to avoid disappointment.